Thursday, April 18, 2013

End of Semester Banquet

Tonight was the annual JFRC end of the semester banquet. It felt like high school. All of the girls had been out looking for new shoes and dresses for the occasion for weeks. We voted for superlatives. We even had a calcio (soccer) tournament the night before. People spent hours getting ready; getting their hair and nails done, painting on makeup, pouring wine into water bottles. It was like Homecoming but with a so-so group dinner component, terrible DJ, and overpriced bar. In case it wasn't obvious I wasn't a huge fan. Once the dancing started I knew I had to get out of there. I found my friend Joe who was just as uncomfortable as I with the super awkward dance floor. All I really wanted to do was spend my last few nights in Rome walking around on the beautiful cobblestones eating gelato and gazing, happy Roman drunk, at all the wonderful things I would never again get to see bathed in the yellow light of the streetlamps. We walked to the ruins of Cat Sanctuary ruins where I told Joe the story of Caesar's death on the steps of the senate. Joe and I reminisced about all the fun times we had in Rome, and reflected on what we had learned, how we would change, and what we wanted to take with us. Entranced in our conversation we stumbled across a small pastry shop where we got some delicious pastries with fresh pears (which were in season!) and walnuts. A killer combination. We ate them in front of the restaurant where the banquet was being held and watched the train wreck that was the exit of JFRC. I met up with Marija, Kieran, and Kaley outside and walked with them to Trastevere where I relaxed with a big Perroni in the middle of the piazza. I couldn't think of a better way to end one of my last nights in Rome.