Friday, February 8, 2013

Ostia Antica and the Catacombs

While I absolutely love all the history I am learning in Rome not all of you do... HERE , and HERE (VIRTUAL TOUR) is some information about where I went today if history is your thing and you love ancient ruins. Otherwise, here are some sweet pics:









A floor mosaic of an elephant! I'm sure the Romans' exposure to unfamiliar African animals prompted them to capture them in art.






I found what looked like an abandoned, unexcavated portion of the ruins and decided to explore. I am so happy I took the road less traveled (literally) because my solo explorations definitely made all the difference. I told my friends Joe and Ali about my findings, and they joined me for another hour or so. 










 More Pictures:


These were used like refrigerators. They were made of clay, filled with food or wine, and buried to keep cool.