Friday, January 18, 2013

Intensamente!

Today, bright and early, I departed to the Naples area of Italy. My first stop was the Herculaneum. It is located in the Campania region near Pompeii. Like Pompeii it was also destroyed by the 79 AD Eruption of Vesuvius. Unlike pompeii, Herculaneum was destroyed by lava (pompeii was destroyed by ash). It was also a smaller, wealthier town which seemed to me like a paradise away from the big city of Pompeii. We had an enthusiastic, knowledgeable tour guide who's excitement by ancient ruins and bUffalos (see next post) only added to the excitement, interest, and appreciation I felt towards all the ancient sites we visited on our trip.


 
 
After the visit to Herculanium I enjoyed my first wine tasting at Cantina del Vesuvio. It is a famous vineyard at the base of the mountain. Why would anyone live so close to an active volcano? Well, according to the farmers at the vineyard (which also makes some incredible olive oil) the ground at the base of the mountain is fertile and filled with minerals (which you can taste in the aged red wine!). The food, wine, and view were to die for- literally, as I risked my life being so close to the volcano hehe.

 



After lunch we departed to our 4-star hotel in Sorrento, but not before driving past the beautiful coastline where we could see the picturesque Amalfi Coast.