Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sorrento- Reggia di Caserta- Montecassino

I began my last day in Sorrento with a delicious breakfast at the hotel. They had fresh pastries, meat, cheese, fresh squeezed Sorrento orange juice, and most importantly: Nutella!

Our first stop was Reggia di Caserta. It is a UNESCO site, and known as the Verssai of Italy... rightly so...




Frescoes on every ceiling!



What palace would be complete without a waterfall?


Our last sight was Montecassino where we toured the Abbey and basilica:



After the bombing (1944)


Basilica

This spot was especially significant to me because I found out, shortly before departing, that my great uncle (who passed away last year) had fought here. Apparently. he had fought and was injured, but because of his dedication the Italian government honored him and granted him 4 years of schooling at the University of Rome. I have visited the campus, and my goal is to study in the history library of the university where my great-uncle probably studied for his classes. Unfortunately, due to the weather I was unable to see the cemetry dedicated to all the soilders, who died or were wounded.

Here is what the cemetery would have looked like if I had brought my camera: