Thursday, January 17, 2013

Monti Neighborhood

After a long night in Trastevere (also my first experience waiting forever for the unpredictable Roman buses) I decided to take it easy today, and explore a neighborhood. The Monti neighborhood is located just north of the Colosseum. It is one of the oldest and most historic neighborhoods in Rome. According to some guide book (so believe what you want) it used to be the red-light district and home to prostitutes and gladiators! Anyway, we walked around the beautiful old streets:



until we saw a tiny hill with some trees and a bench. It didn't look like much, but seeing a trail I naturally had to take it. Thanks goodness I did because I stumbled on this beautiful view of the Colosseum and forum:



We wandered around the back streets which were shockingly tourist-free! It was such a beautiful little oasis amongst the major tourist attractions all over that part of Rome. It was on this trip I had my first gelato in Rome! The place we ate not only had delicious gelato, but sumptuous looking Sicilian sweets (I am quickly learning Sicilian desserts are the best kind!):



  

We checked out a beautiful church next to the University where we met some very helpful students ;) and ended the night stumbling into one of the most stunningly beautiful churches I have seen thus far, a super hipster vintage shop playing music to make any US hipsters jealous 'they hadn't heard it first', and a classy profumeria (perfume and makeup shop) where we got made-over in designer makeup and perfumes.