Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Life Talks: Study Abroad

I have been lucky enough to share the last 10 days with my friend Maria. She is currently studying business at University of Cincinatti in Ohio, but she is originally from Linz, Austria. She, like me, decided to study abroad in a foreign country not just because it looks good on a resume, but for the experience. Maria is smart, easygoing, curious, up for anything, and gives great advice. We've had some pretty great life talks together. A few days ago we started talking about what changes to expect abroad; customs, schoolwork, boys, etc. We then got on the deeper topic of how I would change abroad. Maria told me about how different she is since she left Austria, and how much she has grown, and learned about herself in her first 5 months here. She then proposed a task. She told me to think of three words/ideas that describe me right now, before I leave. Examples: Am I an introvert or an extrovert? How easygoing am I? What is my role in a group? How do I deal with disagreements, or other difficult situations? What are some things I would like to change about my personality? Then, she explained that I should reflect on them halfway through my time abroad and again after I return. If I have learned anything from my last 3 years with Ramble Outdoors it's the importance of reflection. I plan on giving Maria's task some serious though over the next few days, and maybe post about it?
Other advice from Maria to keep in mind:
Don't feel homesick or lonely because even if you don't talk to someone for a while it doesn't mean they aren't thinking about you.
Travel as much as possible.
Try everything.