Saturday, January 26, 2013

Rome is all ours right now

I woke up early this morning and watched the sunrise over Rome:





While waiting for the sun to get over the mountains a little old man ran past us quoting Socrates. Intrigued, I asked him (in my terrible Italian) to explain... I spent the next 5 minutes trying to figure out which was worse- my Italian or his English! He told us to follow him up to the top of the hill to where there was a better view of the sunrise (I know it sounds creepy.) We followed him up the trail to the top of the hill where we watched the sunset, quoted famous poets, and were introduced the the little old man's friend Yasser who worked at the cafe where the old man ate every morning after reaching the top of Monte Mario.

It sounds like a cop out, but I'm finding it really difficult to explain the time we spent with this amazing little old man watching the sunrise. It was such a wonderful start to the day.



Gate where lovers go to lock a lock together symbolizing their eternal love for one another <3

Sunrise from our secret sunrise watching spot!

The hill we watched from is actually a park. We spent the next few hours exploring:
Secret sunrise spot bench!




By the time we were finished exploring the park it was about 10am, and we were at the bottom in some unfamiliar neighborhood. We had quite an experience trying to find our way to Campo Di Fiori which involved Teresa's giant map, some atac ticket people, and Teresa's giant maps again lol.

Eventually we found our way to the Campo Di Fiori market:




The market was pretty small, so we headed back up the hill to the Trionfale market. The bus dropped us off right in front of the market, but before we went in Teresa and I stopped into a small cafe/coffee shop/pasteria. We got a few pastries, and as we were leaving we ran into the little old man from the hill! I couldn't believe it! Rome isn't huge, but I couldn't believe our luck running into him again. We also met his wife who seemed just as cool as him. The pastries we had were some of the best I have ever had. This one was my favorite:
The filling was like Nutella, but more chocolatey!
Here are some pictures of the giant Tionfale market:
Craft Stall!


My FAVORITE!